Oct 3, 2026, 11:33:30
Ownage Owls

Author Topic: Wi-Fi Question.  (Read 92 times)

May 29, 2011, 20:51:44
Read 92 times

AlvaroTits

Guest
Well guys, I have a little question. For 2/3 years, I hacked the connection of a neighbour via Wi-Fi, and with my actual network adapter I´m connected to his Internet connection with this adapter: http://www.wisacom.com/index.php/adaptadores-wifi-usb-80211bg/wisacom-usb-200
- 200mW
- 802.11b+g
- 54 Mbps

But I have found this awesome adapter for 29.40$ (22.59€): http://www.dealextreme.com/p/660000n-3000mw-802-11b-g-n-150mbps-usb-2-0-wifi-wireless-network-adapter-90109
-3000mW
- 802.11b/g/n
- 150Mbps

So my question is, if with that Wi-Fi N thing, it will be faster or not. I´m a bit confused because ToMo told me some time ago that Wi-Fi N is shit. So if you know something about it, tell me.
Thanks in advance!

May 29, 2011, 21:12:58
Reply #1
Offline

Mdbelen

Staff
lol 3W, your brain will be roasted

May 29, 2011, 21:16:56
Reply #2

AlvaroTits

Guest
Is that good or bad? xD I think that is good for speed...

May 29, 2011, 21:37:05
Reply #3
Online

Potzo

Staff
I have router with that, my iphone can't get conncetion it if I am lets say on my therase, in backyard..
I blame iphone, but i guess you could go with that, but seriosly, you should get your own internet lol
Join us on Discord

May 29, 2011, 21:49:47
Reply #4

AlvaroTits

Guest
I googled about that N thing, and it seems cool, plus it isn´t expensive, so I will buy and test it.
But about get my own connection, I think that pay 50 euro per month is stupid having about 30 routers near me (with my old adapter... imagine with the new one lol).
Let´s see if this Chinese bitches do a good job.

May 29, 2011, 22:48:53
Reply #5
Offline

Mdbelen

Staff
You won't get more speed if your neighbour doesn't use n too for sure.
But rly, your brain will be nuked, i dont think that this is good, but you can have a (one) try.. lol 3W is 1/200 of a microwave, but it is in your head 24/7, not 3 minutes like the popcorn in the microwave

May 29, 2011, 23:34:29
Reply #6

AlvaroTits

Guest
Oh, so he has to use N too...
Are you serious with that shit? xDD

May 30, 2011, 02:06:29
Reply #7
Offline

rijads

Member
Oh, so he has to use N too...
Are you serious with that shit? xDD
well he overreactes, becouse its not pointed at you, its pointed in all directions, but yeah, brain damage hahahhahaha

Aug 12, 2011, 05:42:15
Reply #8
Offline

p0rn|Berni


lol ^^ you cant get a faster internet, if you buy a better adapter. Yourr neightbour has still the same internetspeed.
And your new adpter isnt sooo good ;) i buyed mine for 99fr (100 euro).

Aug 12, 2011, 12:58:33
Reply #9

AlvaroTits

Guest
I didn´t buy anything. I´m looking for one with that shitty N thing.

Aug 12, 2011, 13:40:14
Reply #10
Offline

Giraffen420

Member
Just think twice before ordering from DX, it might be cheap & all, but don't forget it is all chinese products with semi-good quality.

Aug 12, 2011, 13:51:29
Reply #11

AlvaroTits

Guest
Yes I know, but I´m not looking there for a new adapter. Any recommendations?

Aug 12, 2011, 17:12:46
Reply #12
Offline

Alpha

Staff
Your brain won't be roasted, that is bullcrap, there are enough frequencies in the air that this won't make a difference anyway.
Regarding microwaves, the only reason they are legal is because they incorporate a Faraday cage, no energy leaves the microwave.
The legal limit for EIRP (broadcast power with antenna gain) in Europe is actually 100 mW with a normal antenna, not only is the other adapter illegal (as could be the case with your current one), it will make your connection and ability to see networks worse.
How come? Simple:
Upping your broadcast power allows routers further away to hear you, but WiFi is a two-way connection and just because they can hear you, doesn't mean you can hear them.
Therefore it won't change anything, the routers you see in your area now are the only routers you will ever see, no matter if you use a 50 W or 0,1 mW link.
Why is this then? When showing available routers, all a WiFi adapter has to do is listen, it doesn't have to transmit anything untill it has to make a connection, so its broadcast power is utterly pointless.
As your current 200 mW adapter is already pushing the limits of legality, you won't see any improvements unless there are illegal routers you can see, but not connect to, that transmit at an even higher power.
Even then, someone with the know-how of setting up a high power AP will probably know how to secure it well too.

Why will it only be worse with the new adapter? Noise.
As you increase the power of a transmission, it induces noise.
The higher the power, the higher the noise, so the 3 W adapter would be able to connect to even fewer routers.

What can you do to improve your situation?
Look for receive sensivity on the adapter, you want this number to be as high as possible, this allows it to receive weaker signals from routers further out.
The best thing you can do is get an improved antenna, preferably directional for these long range connections.
There are many DIY projects using a pringles can, a wok (or large bowl covered in aluminium foil) or an old satellite dish.
Alternatively, you can get specially made WiFi dishes made to last outdoors, I've seen plenty with high gain and good quality around 20-30 euros.
If you attach one of those your adapter, you'll see much better results, for an even more stable connection, you could couple the antenna with a good router (if the routers around you operate on 802.11G, get the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54) and have it take care of the connection.

Regarding 802.11N, it has longer range and a higher speed throughput, but the router you are connecting to needs to be 802.11N or it will just make an 802.11G connection.
802.11G is still the most widespread, but if you know your neighbours have upgraded to 802.11N, there's a benefit to gain there.

Aug 12, 2011, 19:52:15
Reply #13

AlvaroTits

Guest
Huh... this guy is epic.
Really thank you. You have cleared many doubts, in special this one:
Quote
As your current 200 mW adapter is already pushing the limits of legality, you won't see any improvements unless there are illegal routers you can see, but not connect to, that transmit at an even higher power.
Now I know what should I buy or not. Zenkiu!